Free Windows 10 Upgrade
You too could get a Free Windows 10 Upgrade if you are disabled. As you may know… I am ‘Legally Blind.’ That means that by law, and within those standards, I fall under the American’s With Disabilities Act (ADA), it also means I use assistive technology.
Windows 10’s free upgrade offer, to the general public, is officially over. Nevertheless, free copies of Windows 10 are still available, without using a pirated license.
Thinking I would like to take advantage of this free upgrade I sat down at my children’s computer and typed in the address. Only to realize that you can’t upgrade from XP to Windows 10.
- Yes! I know, Windows XP came out in October 25, 2001.
- Yes! I know, support for Windows XP ended April 8, 2014.
- Yes! I waited too long. However acknowledging my error doesn’t fix the problem.
You need to have Window’s 7 through 8.1, to upgrade. Well, I own another unused copy of Windows 7… so…
Disclaimer: I already own the software. It is mine. I am just not using my Windows 7 license right now. Please be clear. This is not how you are going to get around lawfully purchasing Windows.
Free Windows 10 Upgrade Steps if you have an XP
- First find your Product Key on your other machine. I blurred mine out, however the sticker looks like this and was on the back corner of my CPU that I currently run a different version of Window’s on.
- Next, Go to your functioning Window’s 7 – 8.1 machine,
- Open a file folder,
- Go to ‘My PC’ to search entire PC,
- Type the word “RECOVERY” in the search box.
- You will see files all with the word Recovery in them. You want a file named similar to “recovery management” Such as: Gateway_Recovery_Management. Click.
- A box will open and click the Create Factory Default Disc
- Here you will create Recovery Discs. Mine used 4 DVDs, Label them as you burn them. (I believe you can use a USB drive as well.
- Go to your old XP machine, Put the first disc in, then restart… follow the instructions on the screen. Yes, you want to fully rewrite the whole computer. Yes you will lose everything that you didn’t back up.
- Once you have installed Windows 7, you can then upgrade to Windows 10 with your Window’s 7 Product Key.
- Tah Dah! Now I have Window’s 10 on the kid’s computer so that I can help them with their schoolwork! 🙂 Yay!
All software and setting will need to be reset on this machine. It is as if it were ‘Just Out Of The Box!’ New.
Most problems can be solved in life. Think out of the box. Think a way around an issue. Solving my upgrade issue to help my children, wasn’t something I instantly knew how to do. I had to think it through step by step. I spent a while staring at the screen. I even downloaded a few of the wrong files.
Success is earned.
No matter what area you want to define your success… you can achieve it. Through persistence and calm thinking.
- Disability Rights and Resources
- Assistive Technology Windows 10
- Microsoft admits maybe it ‘went too far’ with pushy Windows 10 upgrades
Be a successful mom! Go out there, and if you use assistive technology Get your Free Windows 10 Upgrade